This is truly a bright and fun recipe! It’s super simple and makes for a great side dish. This slaw is so refreshing and really compliments my okra dirty rice.
I consider this a Mardi Gras recipe because of the color palette, not because of the flavor profile. The beautiful colors from the purple cabbage, green cabbage, orange carrots, and yellow squash are perfect for any New Orleans celebration!
This dish is sweet and savory (one of my favorite flavor combinations). It is also a no-cook recipe and comes together in minutes! The hardest part is chopping one vegetable (what a hard life, right!).
The slaw follows the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP), and can be modified to be Candida friendly by omitting the carrots (as they are too starchy for Candida).
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 Cups red cabbage (I bought a bag of the pre-maid slaw mix with the carrots, red, and green cabbage already included)
- 2 Cups green cabbage
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1 Yellow squash
- 1 Lime (zest and juice)
- 1 Tbsp. of honey (vegan omit or substitute maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup of garlic infused olive oil (regular olive oil will work too)
- 1 Tbsp. AIP Paleo seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 Handful fresh cilantro
- Chop yellow squash into quarter slices.
- Add cabbage, carrots, and squash into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine spices, cilantro, and olive oil and mix until well incorporated. Then add the zest and juice of 1 lime.
- Add dressing to the slaw and mix well.