Is it a tarte or a mousse, that is the question… My answer, it’s a crustless tarte. You see this doesn’t quite have the texture of a mousse (which I consider to be light, whipped, and airy). This definitely has the texture of a tarte/cheesecake hybrid but with no crust, making it not only Autoimmune Protocol friendly, but also Candida friendly! However, I will say that if you’re on the Candida cleanse, do not over indulge as sugar intake should be limited.
This should actually be called the Strawberry/Raspberry Lime Tartelette as it contains both berries (but the name is too long, so I opted to raspberry instead as raspberries usually get less love).
I’m going to warn you that if you’re not into tart flavors, then this may not be for you! It definitely has a sour kick (which I love!).
I got the base of this recipe from Healing Family Eats, however, I did change it a bit.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 Cups of raspberries (one for the filling and one for the garnish
- 1 Cup of strawberries
- 1/4 Cup of honey (you can add more/less depending on your level of sweetness). Omit if on a Candida cleanse (just add a couple more strawberries)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. of gelatin
- 1/2 Cup of water
- 2 and 1/4 Cup of coconut milk (solid part only)
- 3 Sprigs of mint (for garnish)
- 1 Cup of pomegranate seeds (for garnish)
- Place gelatin in a small pot and sprinkle with water. Let sit for about 5 minutes or so until the texture becomes bubbly/spongey.
- In a blender or nutribullet blend coconut milk (only the solid part, save the liquid for another recipe or a smoothie), strawberries, raspberries, and lime juice and set aside.
- Warm gelatin on low heat continuously stirring until melted.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring.
- Add honey until fully incorporated.
- Add in coconut/raspberry mixture and keep stirring.
- Pour into serving dish of your choice (if you’re using glass be sure to let the liquid cool before placing it in the refrigerator so the glass doesn’t break!).
- Let chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours or until set.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, mint and pomegranate seeds.
This recipe may look complex, but I assure you that if I can make it, you definitely can too! The most time consuming part is letting the gelatin set, the rest is super straightforward. Just remember to keep stirring the gelatin so that it doesn’t set! I hope you try it and enjoy it!
Happy Valentine’s Day!